Our Guidance Programmes
Your growth from a teenager into a young adult goes beyond academic achievements and to support this we provide a comprehensive guidance programme which is delivered through our tutor groups; led by our Post 16 team including our expert tutors. We aim to support you as a confident member of society with outstanding academic qualifications.
Through our guidance programme, we also provide students with an in-depth programme of revision techniques and also have a ‘Pause for Thought’ programme offering students with in-depth information on a number of career sectors.
This programme is bespoke to our students needs but covers many aspects and engages outside agencies and guest speakers. We provide guidance on university, apprenticeship and employment research using Unifrog. We also offer guidance on looking after your finances, whether you go to university or not, driving safely alongside taking care of your mental wellbeing, sexual health and being informed about the dangers of risk taking behaviour. We also promote many opportunities offered to our students from outside agencies including work experience placements, research project placements and university open days. We also support the Stem Cell Donation Register working closely with ASSET/R&Be Education Programme giving our students the opportunity to support the programme. To date we have had 2 successful matches.
Our guidance programme also recognises the important decisions you will be making about your future. Our Post 16 team supports you in developing the skills you will need to take you both to university and beyond. The decision regarding what you want to study, and the university you choose, is a very important one. We guide and support you through this decision-making process encouraging you to think about your strengths and interests throughout Year 12. Our guidance programme helps you broaden your horizons through presentations from local universities and the Institute for Apprenticeship & Technical Education (IATE), NCS (National Citizen Service), motivational speakers, bespoke career meetings and access to Unifrog. All our students are taken to the annual UCAS Exhibition in Sheffield.
We have developed successful partnerships with a vast range of universities and our Post 16 team have an exceptional understanding of the demands of the vast array of different courses on offer at UK and International universities. We help guide you to make the right choices.
Below is an overview of the presentations given throughout your time at the Centre this list is ever-growing:-
- NCS Presentation & Registration
- Unifrog Launch
- CV Writing Workshop offered by De Montfort University
- Kooth - Welcome presentation
- Higher/Degree Level Apprenticeships - IATE
- Road Safety Presentation delivered by Nottinghamshire Fire Brigade
- ASSET Stem Cell Register presentation
- Why go to University? - Sheffield Hallam University
- Apprenticeship Opportunities
- Study Skills & Top Tips - HeppSY+ presentation
- Choosing the right course at the right university - delivered by University of Lincoln
- Medicine, Dentistry & Health degrees - delivered by the University of Sheffield
UCAS Process – from start to finish - delivered by Nottingham Trent University
- Personal Statement Workshop - Nottingham Trent University
- Higher and Degree Apprenticeships Talk – Sheffield Hallam University
- Interview Technique Session - De Montfort University
- Mock Interview Preparation Sessions - CareersInc
- UCAS applications – How to reply to your offers
- Student Life - Sheffield Hallam University
- Student Finance / Budgeting / Bursaries & Scholarships
- University accommodation - What options are available and how to choose
- Transition to Level 4 Study Skills/Top Tips - HeppSY+ presentation
- Finding the right bank account – Yorkshire Bank Presentation
- Surviving your first week at university - Nottingham Trent University
- Accommodation/Freshers/Timetables/Societies/Opportunities – HeppSY+ Presentation